Friday, June 6, 2014

LGBT Pride And Me

 
What Does Pride Mean To Me
 
 
     Hey everyone! Happy Pride!!! I thought I'd do this post about what LGBT Pride means to me. Umm...yeah. Just as the title says. LOL!! And I'm hoping to have some friends share their thoughts as well. I hope you will enjoy it! So...let the rainbow shine and the glitter sparkle!!
 
     I guess the best way to start this is to tell you a bit about my coming out. Not just to others, but to myself as well. I started to really think about it when I was 16. That doesn't mean it didn't cross my mind before then because it certainly did. I just never really gave it a lot of thought. Hmm...this might be a good time to explain that I grew up on a U.S. military base in Germany. The subject of homosexuality was not talked about unless it was in a negative way. Being gay meant AIDS. And it meant being a less than human creature worthy only of jokes. Not the most accepting of places. Were they all like that? Of course not. There were some amazing people that accepted everyone regardless of whatever differences there might be. Anyway, back to the subject. My sexuality wasn't something I gave a lot of thought too. The reason I started to really focus on it was because I had just broken up with my latest girlfriend and couldn't get one of my father's soldiers out of my head. I was heartbroken a couple of years before when I found out he had a girlfriend and I was trying to figure out why. Why was I still hurt. And why my relationships with girls never really felt right. That's when it dawned on me. I was attracted to him. As I let that bounce around my head for a bit, I started to notice that I was attracted to other guys. That doing the things with my girlfriends that made me uncomfortable and giggle uncontrollably didn't leave me feeling that way when I thought of doing them with other guys. Yes. Giggle. I do giggle when I feel awkward. I'm not the only one, am I? OK, back to the story. And that's when I came to realize I am gay. It hasn't always been an easy journey. I ran back into the closet when a "friend" told me I was going to Hell and that it was wrong. That I was wrong. I didn't stay in there long. I came out for good a year later! :D
 
     Now that you have that rambling mess of a back story, let me tell you what Pride means to me. It's not just about showing everyone I'm proud to be gay. It's not the parades and parties. Don't get me wrong. Those are important. Very important. We need to let the world know we are who we are and that that's a great thing. But for me, it's also a chance to step back. To look at myself in the mirror and say, "I'm gay and I'm proud of myself!". You see, for a while I didn't think I would be here. I thought that something would happen and I'd get sick. Or that someone would come along and hurt me. I didn't think I would have a future. It never stopped me from coming out. I was just resigned to that being my fate. But I've learned a lot since then. I've seen how the world has changed for the positive. I've met many wonderful people who have shown me how wrong I was. Through education and exposure, I've learned that doesn't have to be my fate. So now, after having started this journey ???? years ago, I know I have a future. There is so much out there for me to see and experience. When I look in the mirror I'm proud of who I am. A happy gay man. That's what LGBT Pride means to me.
 
     So I hope you will join me in celebrating LGBT Pride this month. Not only by going out and making a statement, but by also looking in the mirror. Love you all!!! **HUGS**
 
    
 
     


12 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic blog post, Jase. It sucks, and I'm sorry that your "friend" turned out to not really be a friend. I can't image not being supportive. I'm glad you were able to get to a place where you are proud of yourself and happy. No one should ever be persecuted for who they love or be made to think that how they feel is wrong.
    Happy Pride Month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandy!! For ever nonfriend I've I had, there are 10 amazing, wonderful friends. I'm very lucky and thankful you're one of them!! **HUGS** <3

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your words.. You can count on me to remind you that you are capable of doing whatever you set out to do. You are certainly worthy of love, friendship, and so much more. I'm glad you are liking who you are because so many of do too!! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kari, for being in my world! I'd never be who I am if it weren't for amazing friends like you!! **HUGS** <3

      Delete
  3. I'm straight but I'm also an ally and the mother of a bi man. He never came out to me although I knew. I think sometimes mommas just know these things when they are tuned into their kids. I work full time and I'm still being a mom to a granddaughter. Pride month for me is a time for me to support friends and to try and undo some of the prejudice my girl was taught. My boy was involved in a motorcycle accident and has gone on to his next journey. So I volunteer for The Trevor Project so that I can tell young people something I never got to tell my son, I love you the way you are. You are wonderful, beautiful, and have so much to give, the world is a better place because you are in it and last but not least I'm Proud of you.
    Jase I'm proud to know you even if it's just as an fb friend. This is a great blog and a great blog post. See you on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Solaria!! I'm so sorry about your son. Friends and allies like you help make this world a much better place. I know the work you do with The Trevor Project really makes a diiference in the lives of so many young people. Thank you! I'm so glad to have such a wonderful friend in you!! **HUGS** <3

      Delete
  4. Such a heart warming post Jase. Sorry you were made to feel bad but I'm so thankful you got to the stage you are at now. I hope you continue to shine as you were made to <3

    I can't claim the LGBT pride for myself but I can say I'm proud to call you a friend <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deeze!! I'm so lucky to have such amazing friends in my life and that you are one of them! LGBT Pride isn't just about members of the community, it's also for our friends and family. The people that love and support us. And you are most definitely a part of that!! Thank you! **HUGS** <3

      Delete
  5. I think that you are an incredibly brave man. It take a lot o courage to be yourself and not let other dictate who you are and how you will act. Love you Uncle Jase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you lots, my Nephew!! You teach me so much about about bravery and courage every day!! I'm so proud to have you in my life!! **HUGE HUGS** <3

      Delete
  6. You are strong, and brave, and beautiful, and loved, Jase.
    And you are perfect exactly as you are.
    Very good post!
    I am proud to be your ally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna!! I'm so honored to have a friend and ally like you!! **HUGS** <3

      Delete