Monday, June 30, 2014

Pride with Cody Kennedy and Timmy

Pride With Cody Kennedy and Timmy

     Here we are on the last day of June and that means LGBT PRIDE Month has come to an end. But before it does, I'm so incredibly lucky to have two very important people visit. Cody Kennedy, the extraordinary author of "Omorphi" and "Safe", has kindly agreed to be here today. I'm so thrilled to have him. And to make a great thing more amazing, my dear friend and nephew, Timmy is here to share his thoughts. You may remember that he is the talented artist responsible for the look of my blog. Before I hand things over to them, I want to thank you all for coming to visit! Take it away Cody and Timmy.

PRIDE versus FREEDOM, and a little history about our flag

Thank you, Jase, for the honor and privilege of being on your blog! As PRIDE month draws to a close, our good friend Timmy (Jase’s ersatz nephew) and I are here to discuss a little about the history of the PRIDE flag and, more importantly, how our LGBTQIA youth of today view PRIDE.

As an author who writes LGBTQIA works and someone who wishes to bring awareness to literary works and those who identify with non-binary gender, I hope to bring attention to the current, crucial socio-economic, political, and very personal issues surrounding PRIDE and those who don’t identify with the strict binary categorization of sexual identity.

Long, long ago (30 years) in a land far, far away (San Francisco, California, USA) the world's best-known version of the rainbow flag, often referred to as 'the freedom flag', was popularized as a symbol of lesbiangaybisexual, and transgender (LGBTpride and diversity by San Francisco artist Gilbert Baker in 1978. The different colors symbolize diversity in the gay community, and the flag is used predominantly at gay pride events and in gay villages worldwide in various forms including banners, clothing and jewelry. For the 25th Anniversary of the Stonewall riots, held in 1994 in New York city, a mile-long rainbow flag was created and post-parade cut up in sections that have since been used around the world.

The flag was originally created with eight colors, but pink and turquoise were removed for production purposes, and since 1979 it has consisted of six colored stripes. It is most commonly flown with the red stripe on top, as the colors appear in a natural rainbow. Aside from the obvious symbolism of a mixed LGBT community, the colors were designed to symbolize: life (red), healing (orange), sunlight (yellow), nature (green), harmony (blue), and spirit (purple/violet). The removed colors stood for sexuality (pink) and art/magic (turquoise).


The youth of today have a different take on PRIDE than we "older" folk do—FREEDOM—the very basis for our country’s foundation. Timmy gives us a twelve-year-old’s take on what PRIDE means to all of us.

Timmy on PRIDE versus FREEDOM

"I know the meaning of the word pride, but is this how we mean it? I think pride in the LGBT community is yet another label and a wall we hide behind. Pride is a feeling that we should all have whether we’re LGBT or not. LGBT doesn’t own this word and we shouldn’t use it like we do. We walk in Pride Parades as though we are entitled, and all the time we have our own groups and cliques. We also discriminate within our own community. Pride is not about safety in numbers, it’s not about hiding behind labels and others like us, and it’s not about parades. How offended might we be to see a heterosexual parade going down our street? I think it shouldn’t be about pride, but it should be about freedom. We have the freedom to be us, and that includes everyone. Pride is a personal emotion not a public show.

"I won’t hide in the closet anymore. I have been beaten, almost raped in the locker room at school, and called names repeatedly, but I am still FREE to be me. One thing I have learned over the last five months is that it is not about what I wasn’t allowed to be. I was treated and hurt badly, showed daily that I wasn’t loved, but I survived. I am so damn proud of that. I’m not the only person with stories like this. Heterosexual, gay, bi, transgendered, lesbian, or any other letter of the alphabet you choose, we all have a story. Being me does not define pride, it’s my FREEDOM that defines how I feel about myself that gives me pride. It’s hard to feel it and see it some days, but I know that deep down FREEDOM is there for me. Days that I feel weak, useless, unwanted, or lonely, I take my freedom out and say "hey, I made it, I’m here" and THAT is pride. People can’t give it to you, parades and parties are not pride. Look inside yourself to find your freedom first, before you label it pride."

Thank you, Timmy! Great comments! As PRIDE month draws to a close we find ourselves in a time of change; not only one of change in perspective but also one of behavior and the law. Now, more than ever before. I am proud to be an author of LGBTQIA literature and hope to bring you works that inspire you, give you strength and, above all, give you hope. Thank you for taking the time to read our post and rock on!

     Thank you again, Cody and Timmy! I'm so happy you stopped by to share your thoughts as well as a bit of history with us. Though the month of PRIDE has ended, I'd like all of you to take Pride in the Freedom to be you. You are Free to be who you are and should be proud of who that is. You are amazing and wonderful and perfect! Thank you all once again for stopping by. It really means a lot to me. I hope you have a great day!! **HUGS**

Check out Cody’s Books and Blog here. Like Cody on Facebook, find Cody on Goodreads, on Twitter @CodyKAuthor, on Amazon, and read Cody’s free serial story, Fairy. Check out Timmy’s Thoughts and Book Reviews here.





Available from: Harmony Ink Press

Όμορφη. 

Ómorphi. Greek. Meaning pretty
Pretty. adj. /pritē/ Pleasing by delicacy or grace
~*~
High school senior Michael Sattler leads a charmed life. He’s a star athlete, has great friends, and parents who love him just the way he is. What’s missing from his life is a boyfriend. That’s a problem because he’s out only to his parents and best friend. When Michael accidentally bumps into Christy Castle at school, his life changes in ways he never imagined. Christy is Michael’s dream guy: smart, pretty, and sexy. But nothing could have prepared Michael for what being Christy's boyfriend would entail.

Christy needs to heal after years of abuse and knows he needs help to do it. After the death of his notorious father, he leaves his native Greece and settles in upstate New York. Alone, afraid, and left without a voice, Christy hides the myriad scars of his abuse. He desperately wants to be loved and when he meets Michael, he dares to hope that day has arrived. When one of Michael’s team-mates becomes an enemy and an abuser from Christy’s past seeks to return him to a life of slavery, only Michael and Christy's combined strength and unwavering determination can save them from the violence that threatens to destroy their future together. Readan excerpt of Omorphi. 


Available from: Harmony Ink Press

Safe

Caleb had one mission in life.
To keep his boyfriend safe.

They met at ten, kissed at twelve, and were madly in love by eighteen. Caleb Deering is the captain of the swim team and the hottest senior in school. He comes from a loving home with a kind father and a caring, but strict, mother who is battling breast cancer. Nico Caro is small and beautiful, and has a father who rules with an iron fist—literally. One morning Caleb forgets himself, and he pecks Nico on the lips at school. A teacher sees them and tattles to the Headmaster. The accidental outing at school might be the least of their problems, because the ball set in motion by the school’s calls to their parents could get Nico killed. In the face of that very real danger, Caleb knows he has only one mission in life: to keep Nico safeReadan excerpt of Safe. 


23 comments:

  1. What a lovely post and so thought provoking.

    Timmy you make such interesting comments and show me a way of looking at things in a new light. Thank you.

    Thank you Jase for putting together this blog and sharing it with us <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deeze!! It really is interesting post by Timmy and Cody! I'm so lucky they agreed to do it!! I learn so much from what they and the other people that visit have to say. **HUGS** <3

      Delete
    2. Thanks Deeze! I was really worried people would not like what I had to say.
      Timmy

      Delete
  2. What a terrific perspective, Timmy. I agree with you completely. It is all about freedom to be who we are. I think it is very difficult for us to make any progress until we ditch all the labels and the alphabet and we are free to be who we are and love who we love. I understand the desire people have to march in parades particularly when they have been denied the freedom they are due. But the sign of real progress will be the day when we don't feel the need to assign the alphabet to people. Sexuality is only one aspect of who a person is and it is really no more relevant then hair color or eye color. It's what is inside a person's heart and mind that count.You would never discriminate against a person because they were blonde-haired or blue-eyed so why should you discriminate based on sexuality. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I somewhat agree with you Mel. I didn't mean to say NOT to have labels, but not to hide behind them. I like saying I'm gay. I like having a word to explain what I identify my sexuality with. It's ok for others not to like that. I don't want to be known as the gay boy, but Timmy who also happens to be gay. Thanks for stopping by. And we could so chat about this more on my wall if you want.
      Timmy

      Delete
  3. Freedom.
    You are free to be whatever you want.
    So beautiful, Timmy.
    Thank you for the history lesson, Cody! I did not know that about the flag.
    Of course, here in Italy, they use the same flag for Peace.
    Somehow I think maybe that is two sides of the same coin, Freedom and Peace.
    And Love. Let's not forget Love.
    Thank you for this post, Jase.
    It is illuminating.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my Anna! Thanks fro reading and supporting me. <3
      Timmy

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Cody, for the history lesson. I'm glad to know the history of the flag and its meaning.

    Timmy, I can see your confidence growing and I am so proud of you! I think you are right that you don't have to have a party or a parade to show your pride. I think there are many ways to show that you are proud of who you are. I think Pride parades is one way to show your pride. I was struck by the image of a Pride Patade in Isranbul, Turkey where homosexuality is illegal. The participants risked a lot just to be there. And I have many friends who decided not to attend the local Pride celebrations. And that's ok too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that your don't have to participate in Pride in order to show pride.., but isn't it great that you can?

    Thanks, Jase, for another thought-provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not saying I wouldn't love to see a Pride Parade, or even stand with my sister in a Het. Parade. What I'm saying is to not HIDE behind that. That doesn't GIVE you pride. Thanks for reading and commenting Kari. <3
      Timmy

      Delete
  5. Very good article. Thanks for the history of the LGBTQIA flag, I did not know any of that. Timmy, you are wise beyond your years. I enjoy your point of view whenever you are featured. Through blogs like this I have received a better understanding of the LGBTQIA community and their perspective. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment Denise. I'm glad my perspective has helped you, but please remember this is only my point of view, many will disagree with me.
      Timmy

      Delete
  6. Timmy, your words were so right in the money. Once again I'm super impressed with your intellect and articulate way with words. It sounds like your life in the not too distant past was horrific, and I'm so happy you found a good home and people who love you. Keep sharing your thoughts and art work, but also take time to enjoy being a kid now that your finally can. There's no advantage to rushing adulthood. Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have the best past, but I do have a bright future. Though I'm not very good at being a kid, I am trying! Thanks for the comment!
      Timmy

      Delete
  7. Another wonderful and thought-provoking post, Timmy. I really enjoy reading your thoughts and perspective on issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aniko! So glad you came to read it.
      Timmy

      Delete
  8. What wonderful, enlightening and most of all thought provoking comments. Timmy, your perspective is uplifting. Thank you both for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Les, thanks so much for stopping by to read mine and Cody's post here on Jase's blog! I love having the freedom to share my thoughts with people. It feels even cooler to know that you guys actually read it. :)
      Timmy

      Delete
  9. Yeah Timmy, everyone should be free to be themselves without having to hide and without being labeled.

    A lot of us had some bad experiences during childhood, some people had it harder than others. We all have our scars and the fact we have made through it and are here is enough to be really proud of ourselves.

    And the bad days will get fewer and fewer, Now you have a loving family to support you and peeps that love you dearly. It gets better, it can take some time, but you are so strong and amazing, and now you have the freedom to reach all your potencial.

    And yeah, I agree with your pride concept.

    Hugs dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right that everyone has their story. Nobody should have to hide but I understand the need to at times. I am looking forward to the bad day's becoming fewer. Thanks for stopping by!
      Timmy

      Delete
  10. Jase, thanks for hosting Cody and Timmy!

    I must say that this is an excellent blog post. I got to learn something about the pride flag, which I found very interesting. Thank you for that, Cody.

    As I read Timmy's portion of the post what stood out like a bright beautiful beacon the most, for me, was the passion of his tone and words. They moved me. It's not often that I'm entrusted to reading someone else's personal feelings and thoughts, especially those that are so powerful. I'm honored. You have many gifts, Timmy, and I think writing is another one.

    Thank you all for an excellent, thought provoking blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I love to be able to share my POV. I think it was so cool of Uncle Jase to ask! Glad you liked the post. :)
      Timmy

      Delete
  11. Thank you all!! I love reading everyone's comments! There is so much I am learning from all of you through them. Cody and Timmy are so kind to visit and share their thoughts! I'm very lucky they agreed!! I hope they will visit again!! **HUGS**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will come visit any time you invite me Uncle Jase! I had a great time being here, and will be following all your posts. I love have a safe place that I can express my thoughts and feelings. Thanks for having us on your blog!
      Timmy

      Delete